How do I get my Background Check?
At DiDi, SAFETY has always been our top priority. To ensure the safety of our DiDi community, we now require all drive-partners to pass a Background Check (BGC) to continue driving on our platform. Kindly note that you’ll be required to have your BGC completed by Dec.15th, 2021 at the latest. For a limited time period, the BGC cost shall be carried by DiDi SA and there’s no charge on your side. You can also find more details in the email we sent to you earlier this month. Hurry to get the BGC for free!!!
1. Do I have to make an appointment on the Huru website for the BGC verification?
– No, reservation is not required. Just go to the nearest Huru office with your valid ID card or passport and have your fingerprints captured.
2. Are there Huru sites in Cape Town?
– Yes, please search on Huru website: https://huru.co.za/national-capture-locations
3. I have a BGC on hand, can I send it to you?
– No, we don’t accept any existing BGC report at this stage. We’ll let you know when we are ready to accept the existing BGC.
4. I just did BGC at Huru recently, will that be acceptable?
– No, we don’t accept any existing BGC report. We’ll let you know when we are ready to accept the existing BGC.
5. Can I go to other service providers to do the BGC?
– No, currently, we only partner with Huru.
6. Is the BGC verification free of charge?
– Yes! DiDi currently covers the cost for your BGC in full. Just visit any of the Huru offices with your ID card or passport and mention BEFORE you start the process that you are doing BGC required by DiDi.
7. After the BGC verification, can I have a copy of the BGC report?
– You are not required to have the BGC on hand. DiDi shall get the results directly from Huru and will synchronize the result with our system so that you won’t be prompted to do BGC the next week. But if you want to get a copy of it for other purposes, please check with Huru if there’s any cost on your own.
8. If you get an error on the website, please check your network and try again somewhere with a better internet connection. You can search for Huru offices on this link: https://huru.co.za/national-capture-locations
9. What is the BGC early bird reward?
– To get the BGC early bird reward, you should have served at least 10 rides on our platform and be among the first 1000 active driver-partners to complete our appointed BGC verification.
10. I’m a foreigner in South Africa.
– To get the BGC early bird reward, you should have served at least 10 rides on our platform and be among the first 1000 active driver-partners to complete our appointed BGC verification.
11. Do I need to register or create a profile with Huru?
– No, you don’t need to register or create a profile with Huru. You can just go straight to the optioned Huru office.
How do I sign up as a driver-partner?
- Sign up with your phone number and email address. Enter your basic information.
- Upload the required documents (please see the details in Document Requirements below).
- It takes up to 3 business days to review the uploaded documents. Once approved, your account will be active and you can log in to start driving.
a. PrDP – Professional Driving Permit, you must apply at your nearest driving licence testing centre. More information here.
You will need to submit a copy of your current valid driver licence with PrDP as Sample 1, driver licence without PrDP as Sample 2 is NOT acceptable. You must have held a current full South Africa driver licence for at least two years.
- If you are uploading your temporary PrDP: Take a picture of both your temporary PrDP and your driver’s licence, with the licence card on top of your temporary PrDP
- All learner’s licences, driving licence cards, temporary driving licences and professional driving permits that expire during the period that commenced from 26 March 2020 up to and including 31 December 2020 are deemed to be valid and their validity periods are extended for a further grace period ending on 31 August 2021.” (Gazette 43958, 3 December 2020)
b. Driver Photo
- Show your full face centered in the frame, with no part covered and the top of your shoulders.
- No hats or sunglasses (except spectacles and religious head coverings).
- Do not use your driver’s license photo.
- Take the picture in good lighting.
- No blurry or unclear pictures.
- Do not have other people or animals in the picture.
2. Vehicle Documents:
a. Operators Card (Double Disk)
- Visit your nearest roadworthy centre or DEKRA.
- Request the license disc application form that you will submit at your nearest licensing department .
- This document indicates that your vehicle is a commercial vehicle used to transport passengers for pay.
- You should receive this document within 1-3 days.
b. Vehicle Inspection Report
- Visit your nearest DEKRA test centre for a vehicle inspection.
- The Inspection report must not be older than 1 year.
- Find your nearest DEKRA test centre here.
- Please upload the original document.
c. Operating License (or Proof of Application)
You can visit the nearest Department of Transport to apply for this document. It costs R300 per application (one application = one vehicle)
Port Elizabeth: Department of Transport at 51 Govan Mbeki Road
- Certified copy of ID or Company Registration Documents
- Completed Form 1B per vehicle,
- Complete for ‘Meter Taxi’
- Passenger Count: 4+1
- Add descriptions of route details
- Completed Form 10 – Commissioner of Oaths required
- Vehicle Roadworthy Certificate
- License Disk
- Tax Clearance Certificate
- Insurance documents
- Meter and vehicle Certificates
- Any other documents deemed necessary by the Provincial Regulatory Entity (PRE)
- Complete all documentation above
- Submit documents with application at the DoT & pay
- Upload Receipt on your DiDi profile
If successful you will be notified to make representation to the PRE before submitting documents to uplift your licence. If successful in uplifting, you will be issued with a licence to upload on your profile.
What are DiDi’s car requirements?
- 4 door sedan or MPV. If on Go, a hatchback with a minimum of 4 seats
- No large vans, minibuses or trucks
- No marked taxis, government vehicles, or other commercially marked vehicles
- Excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition. No salvaged or rebuilt vehicles
- Vehicle must pass inspection with a clear inspection report
Can I receive customer support in person?
We often hold meet up events in the cities where we operate. These support events are held for driver-partners interested in signing up to DiDi or seeking face-to-face support.
To find out where and when future DiDi Driver Meet Ups will be held, follow us on our DiDi South Africa Driver Facebook page.
How to download the DiDi Driver app
To download the DiDi app and get started, simply follow the steps below:
- Head to the App Store or Google Play and search for ‘DiDi Driver’
- Download and install the DiDi Driver app
- Open the app and register using your details
Where do I upload / update driver documents?
To upload or update your documents, tap the driver icon on the top-left of the screen > Documents.
Please note: the documents required for registering with DiDi depend on local government regulations.
How do I update my bank details?
To update your bank account details, tap $ on the upper-right corner of the homepage, then tap Balance > Bank Account Information and enter your bank details. Please ensure all of your details are correct, then tap Submit!
If you’re yet to add a bank card, simply tap $ > Add Bank Card.
How do I update my account info?
To update your account information, tap Top Left Corner > your profile picture > your name. You can update your name and operational city here.
To update your mobile number, password and email, tap Top Left Corner > Account Details > Update Account Info
To update your vehicle details, tap Top Left Corner > My Car > Modify Vehicle or Add Vehicle ( if you want to add an additional vehicle.
How long does it take to register?
Once you’ve submitted your driver application, please allow 3-5 business days for us to review your application. If you wish to enquire about your application, please wait until after this time to do so.
My driver registration was unsuccessful
Once you’ve submitted your driver application, please allow 3-5 business days for your account to be registered. If you wish to inquire about your application, please wait until after this time to do so.
If your registration was unsuccessful, you’ll be notified of the reason via SMS. If this happens, you can view any declined material and re-submit any new / valid documents for our team to reassess.
Common reasons your registration may be unsuccessful include:
- Submitting invalid or expired documents / certificates
- Not submitting all the required documents / certificates
- Providing inconsistent or false documents / certificates
- Providing incomplete documents
- Providing blurry / unclear documents where details cannot be seen
To ensure a smooth registration process, we recommend you double-check all of your documents before submitting.
You’re required to submit a current vehicle inspection report. A vehicle inspection report must be less than 12 months old as this is required annually.
How can I improve my rating?
We asked riders what they appreciate most about drivers, here’s what they valued most:
- When drivers are friendly and greet riders when they get in and out of the car
- When drivers offer to assist riders with luggage, without having to ask
- Riders really enjoy being offered treats such as chewing gum, water and charging cables during the trip
- When drivers ask if riders have preferred routes or if they would prefer to follow the GPS
- Clean and tidy cars with minimal odours —You can also find specific rider feedback in your app, under Account > Star Rating.
- The following guidelines can also help you stay on top of your rating:
★ Social Cues on Cue
- Always offer a friendly greeting to riders
- Keep conversations polite & appropriate
- Extra tip: Ask riders if there is a radio station they prefer
★ Squeaky Clean Wheels
- Keep your vehicle clean and free of strong smells
- Ensure essential functions are working properly
★ Smooth, Safe and Responsible Driving
- Always follow the speed limit and road rules
- Ensure riders wear their seatbelt
- Take regular breaks and avoid fatigue
★ 5-Star Service, 5-Star Rating
- Arrive at the pickup point on time
- Check with riders for their preferred route
- Remind riders to take their belongings
- Notify riders of any necessary tolls or fees
Upfront Fares are available in all cities where DiDi operates and have been introduced to give riders certainty (up to a certain point) of the price they will pay for their trip. Please keep in mind that Upfront Fares don’t account for tolls, additional stops, change of destination or unexpected detours. If the actual trip varies significantly from the estimated Upfront Fare, the fare will be adjusted accordingly. We’ll still be calculating Real-Time Fares during trips to ensure that any unexpected detours / peak-hour traffic will result in an updated fare for the rider. We’ll also be constantly monitoring trips to ensure that all fare changes are fair for both riders and drivers.
Each time you drive through a toll during a trip, the toll fee amount is automatically added to the trip fare.
If you find you are missing a toll amount, please contact Customer Support and provide us with the following details:
- The trip you are missing a toll from
- The toll name
- The amount missing
If we determine that a toll amount was missing, we’ll add this toll to the next payment cycle and this will reflect in your payment statement (under ‘Other’).
How does the Cancellation Fee work?
We understand it can be frustrating when your trip is cancelled by a rider. That’s why we’ve got Cancellations Fees in place to keep things fair for all our users. Each city has its own cancellation rules. For details, please visit our Cancellation Policy in the DiDi Driver app > Account > Settings > Legal.
If you believe you’re missing a Cancellation Fee, please reach out to us by tapping your profile picture > Service Centre > Fare Related > Contact Us > Email Customer Support.
How are fares calculated?
Fares are calculated by the following:
- Base Fare: a flat fare charged once the rider enters the car and you start the trip.
- Distance Fare: a fare that is charged based on the distance travelled. This fare may vary depending on the city and the threshold distance. An extra charge may be applicable after a specific distance.
- Time Fare: a fare charged for the duration of the trip (from pickup to drop off). This includes time your driver spent waiting for you and time spent in traffic. This includes the time your driver spent waiting for you and time spent in traffic, etc and may vary depending on the city.
- Any relevant taxes.
Other charges may include:
- Waiting Fees
- Cancellation Fees
- Changes to the Base Fare because of Dynamic Pricing periods
To view a detailed fare breakdown of every trip, please head to Trip History > Fare Details.
I haven’t received my Weekly Earnings
Your weekly earnings are deposited into your chosen bank account every Monday and should be available within 1-3 business days. If a public holiday falls on a Monday, your weekly earnings will be deposited the following day (Tuesday).
If you still haven’t received your earnings (and it isn’t a public holiday), we recommend doing the following steps:
- Ensure you have correctly input your bank information on your DiDi driver app (the bank card owner name and the bank card numbers should be consistent)
- Please ensure you have correctly input the universal branch code of your bank card: My Profile>Bank Information>Bank Account>Branch Code (Universal). If you want to check the branch code of your issuing bank, please visit this website https://www.bankservafrica.com/website/branch-search
- Contact your bank to ensure your account status is “normal” (not closed or frozen)
- If you are a fleet driver, you will have to check with your fleet owner for your earnings.
Once you’ve corrected your bank details, your Weekly Earnings will be deposited into your account as soon as possible. If you’re still unable to receive your earnings, please reach out to our Customer Support team for assistance.
Why was my payment withheld?
Your payment may be withheld if we detect dishonest or fraudulent behaviour that breaches our policies. Such behaviour includes, but is not limited to, abusing DiDi’s offers and rewards system, or holding duplicate accounts.
For further information, please refer to our Anti-Fraud Policy by heading to Account > Settings > Legal in the DiDi-Driver app.
Where can I view my trip earnings?
To view your trip earnings, tap the ‘$’ in the upper-right corner of your screen. Here, you can view your daily and weekly earnings. You can also tap Balance, My Trips or Referral Rewards for more details!
How are my Weekly Earnings calculated?
Your Weekly Earnings are calculated over a one (1) week period: from Monday 00:00 to Sunday 23:59. The amount is then deposited into your chosen bank account the following Monday and should be available within 1-3 business days. However, if a public holiday falls on a Monday, your Weekly Earnings will be deposited the following day (Tuesday).
Please note: your total weekly earnings are subject to the relevant taxes, DiDi’s Services Fee and any applicable fees. To view a detailed fare breakdown of every trip, please head to Trip History > Fare Details.
How do Rewards work?
We may offer driver-partners a variety of rewards to boost their earnings. You can check the latest reward offerings in Notifications on the homepage, or by heading to Trip List on the Earnings page.
Please note: to redeem any of our offers, you may need to meet certain requirements. This includes, but is not limited to, maintaining a high Acceptance Rate (AR), Completion Rate (CR) and Star Rating.
For more info on specific rewards and how they work / how they’re paid, please view the relevant reward page.
Changing my driving preference
To change your driving preference, head to the homepage > tap the icon at the bottom-right > select ‘Set Mode’. You’ll then be able to set Point-to-Point trips or Back-to-Back rides.
How Acceptance Rate (AR) works
Why do I need to maintain a high Acceptance Rate (AR)?
At DiDi, we believe a high AR provides our riders with a reliable ridesharing service. Your AR is calculated on a daily basis and may decrease if you:
- Exceed a trip request’s response time
- Skip or decline a trip request
Please note: your AR will not be affected if the rider cancels the trip request within the request’s time limit.
What happens if I decline too many trip requests?
We understand that you may need to decline a trip request from time to time. However, please keep in mind that declining too many requests can affect riders’ experience. If you feel that you are unable to continue accepting trips, we recommend that you go offline. Please note: if we detect that you have declined or ignored too many requests in a day, we may place a temporary suspension on your account.
No-fault trip rejection feature for long-distance pick-ups
At DiDi we value our drivers. We understand that you often travel far to pick up riders. We have been working diligently to improve the Diver Experience, especially long-distance requests.
As such we have introduced a No-Fault Trip Rejection Feature for Long-Distance Pick-Ups.🚗
This is how it works: If the pickup distance is more than 4 kilometers AND longer than the actual trip distance, you will be able to reject trip requests without being penalized. Basically, if the decline button on the trip request page says “Decline fault-free”, you can push the button, reject the trip and your AR won’t be affected.
How Completion Rate (CR) works
Why do I need to maintain a high Completion Rate (CR)?
At DiDi we believe a high CR provides our riders with a reliable ridesharing service. For this reason, we have set a minimum CR for each city in which DiDi operates. If a rider cancels the trip for one of the following reasons, your CR may be affected:
- You didn’t arrive at the pickup point on time
- You didn’t make enough progress towards the rider / pickup point
- You started the trip before picking up the rider
What happens if my CR falls below my city’s minimum requirement?
Your Weekly Completion Rate (WCR) is calculated every Monday. If your WCR falls below the Minimum Requirement, you’ll receive a reminder. Your account may also be temporarily suspended. If your WCR is below the Minimum Requirement for four (4) consecutive weeks, your account will unfortunately be deactivated.
How High Demand Works
If rider demand is high in a particular place and time, you’ll be able to see areas of high demand in the app. This will help you receive more requests and increase your earnings.
When are high demand times?
As you’d expect, demand for transportation services increases on weekends, during peak hours and for special events.
Where are areas of high demand?
To find High Demand Areas, simply head to the map in the DiDi app, this will show you the varying demand for rides across your city. The darker the red is, the more demand it indicates. You can also find rewards for certain areas in the DiDi app.
Driving with DiDi at the airport
Always ensure you pick up a rider in the designated Rideshare Pickup / Holding areas.
Where are the Rideshare Pickup / Holding Areas located?
Most airports have their own designated area for rideshare services. Upon entering the airport area, simply follow the signs. If you have any trouble, we suggest viewing the website of the relevant airport for more details.
What happens if I wait in the airport queue but only receive a short trip?
After you receive and complete the short trip request, if you return to the airport within 12 hours you will be placed in a priority queue. Only drivers who have completed short trips will be placed in the priority queue. (Please note: short trip means that the actual traveled distance ≤12km）
Why did I lose my place in the queue?
If you leave the queue, you will automatically lose your position after a few minutes. We recommend staying in place to avoid losing your spot!
DiDi seeks to promote a safe and reliable ridesharing community. To achieve this, we have introduced some metrics such as the Star Rating system and a minimum requirement for your Acceptance Rate (AR) and Completion Rate (CR).
Behaviour which may affect your Star Rating / CR / AR and lead to your account suspension, includes, but is not limited to:
- Swiping Complete Trip instead of Cancel Trip
- Cancelling multiple trips after acceptance
- Declining multiple trip requests
- Starting multiple trips without picking up the rider
- Starting multiple trips before picking up the rider
- Completing multiple trips without picking up the rider
- Not swiping ‘Complete Trip’ after the rider has left the car
- Making unnecessary detours or stops
Can I answer calls while driving?
Generally, fully licensed drivers can only make a call if:
- Their mobile phone is in a secure commercially designed cradle fixed to the car
- Their mobile phone is operated without touching any part of the phone (e.g. Bluetooth or voice activation)
We always recommend that you follow local road rules and regulations when you’re driving and using the DiDi Driver app. We also do not recommend that drivers take personal calls while having a rider in the vehicle.
How do I contact a rider?
Once you’ve accepted a trip request, you can contact the rider via message / phone call. To contact your rider:
- Tap the PHONE icon to call
- Tap the MESSAGE icon to send an in-app message
Please note: for privacy reasons, mobile numbers are kept anonymous for both riders and drivers. If the trip ended within the last 7 days, the rider can contact you directly through the self-help function in the app. Please remind your rider to take all of their belongings with them when the trip has ended!
How do I request a Cleaning Fee?
If a rider makes a mess / damages your vehicle and this prevents you from accepting further trip requests, you can request a Cleaning Fee to help cover the cost of cleaning. Please note: if the rider has a valid reason for disputing this fee, then you may not be able to receive the Cleaning Fee.
To request a Cleaning Fee, please contact Customer Support and provide us with all of the following information:
- The trip details
- Photos of the mess / damage (these must be taken from multiple angles)
- A photo of you with the mess / damage while holding your driver’s license
- A photo of the cleaning receipt from a professional cleaning company
Once we’ve received all of the information, we’ll determine the severity of the mess / damage and provide a flat fee as compensation where necessary.
Why didn’t my trip earnings include Dynamic Pricing?
Dynamic Pricing applies during periods of high demand. This means your rider’s trip fare may be slightly higher than usual and ensures that there are enough drivers to accept trip requests during this time. You’ll be able to tell this by the multiplier that is added to the Base, Time, Waiting and Distance Fares.
Please note: fees such as booking Fee, taxes and tolls aren’t subject to the Dynamic Pricing Multiplier.
To avoid any confusion, you can check your trip details before you accept the trip (Request > Dynamic Pricing) and after the trip (My Trips > Dynamic Pricing).
How do Point-to-Point trips work?
Point-to-Point trips allow you to limit your trip requests so that they are on the way to the entered destination. Every day, you’ll get 3 opportunities to set a Point-to-Point trip.
To set a destination simply tap on the menu icon on the bottom right of the home screen. Tap ‘Set Mode’ and set your destination by entering an address.
Tip: When you’ve finished for the day, set your home destination and DiDi will only show you trip requests heading in that direction.
How do Back-to-Back trips work?
Back-to-Back trips allow you to accept trip requests while finishing up another trip, meaning less waiting and more driving!
If you decline a request when Back-to-Back trips are enabled, your AR will not be affected. However, if you cancel a trip, your CR may be affected and you won’t be able to receive another Back-to-Back Trip request until your next trip.
If ever need to pause Back-to-Back trips, you can disable them on the Trip Details page.